Subscribe to Shalva, please! The E-mail list where one can discuss Jewish issues dealing specifically around mental health issues at the same time.
As of April, 2005 the moderator is Howard D. Trachtman .
Here are the initial guidelines as written by Penina Adelman:
Statement of Purpose for Shalva
Shalva which means "tranquillity" in Hebrew, is an on-line discussion group about Jews/Judaism and psychiatric conditions. Some areas to be explored are:
1) Encountering and Opposing Stigma within the Jewish Community
What is happening in your community?
2) How has being Jewish been helpful in terms of having a psychiatric condition?
3) How has being Jewish been difficult in terms of having a psychiatric condition?
4) Anything you believe is useful to know about within Jewish tradition regarding mental illness/psychiatric conditions.
5) Whatever else you would like to bring into the discussion about Jews/Judaism and psychiatric conditions. The primary guideline is to BE RESPECTFUL in your words to others.
This is in keeping with the central Jewish value of not engaging in "lashon hara", lit."evil tongue" in Hebrew, "harmful speech" in English.
Supplied to Howard D. Trachtman by Penina Adelman.
Please visit the Chaverim Shel Shalom Home page.
(This exciting program was previously called Program for Jewish Persons with Mental Illness).
Return to M-POWER home page.
LAST UPDATE April 4, 2005 by Howard D. Trachtman, Chaverim Shel Shalom Advisory Board Member.